Here are some school lunch ideas for vegetarians:
Main courses School Lunch:
- Vegetarian sandwiches or wraps: There are many different types of vegetarian sandwiches and wraps that you can make, such as hummus and veggie wraps, grilled cheese sandwiches with vegetables, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with banana slices.
- Vegetarian pasta salads: Pasta salads are a great way to get a variety of vegetables into your child’s lunch. Try making a pasta salad with grilled tofu, vegetables, and a vinaigrette dressing.
- Vegetarian soups: There are many different types of vegetarian soups that you can make, such as lentil soup, minestrone soup, or vegetable soup.
- Vegetarian chili: Vegetarian chili is a hearty and filling lunch option that is perfect for cold days, please note that chili means green peppers or red bell pepper which is not spicy.
- Fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are essential for a healthy diet, and they’re also a great way to add color and variety to your child’s lunchbox.
- Whole-wheat crackers or bread: Whole-wheat crackers and bread are a good source of complex carbohydrates, which will help your child stay energized throughout the day.
- Cheese or yogurt: Cheese and yogurt are good sources of protein and calcium.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are a good source of healthy fats and protein.
- Trail mix: Trail mix is a healthy and portable snack that is perfect for school lunches.
- Fruit or vegetable chips: Fruit and vegetable chips are a healthier alternative to potato chips.
- Whole-wheat pretzels: Whole-wheat pretzels are a good source of complex carbohydrates.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Hard-boiled eggs are a good source of protein and healthy fats.
- Water: Water is the best beverage for your child’s health.
- Milk: Milk is a good source of protein and calcium.
- Unsweetened 100% fruit juice: Unsweetened 100% fruit juice is a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Here are some specific examples of healthy school lunch ideas for vegetarians:
- Hummus and veggie wrap with carrot sticks celery sticks, and a piece of fruit
- Pasta salad with grilled tofu, vegetables, and vinaigrette dressing, whole-wheat crackers, and a piece of cheese
- Lentil soup with whole-wheat bread and a piece of fruit
- Vegetarian chili with whole-wheat crackers and a piece of fruit
When packing your child’s vegetarian school lunch, be sure to include a variety of foods from different food groups. This will help ensure that they are getting the nutrients they need to stay healthy and energized, Remember to check a Gluten-free diet in case of Allergic to Gluten.
Image creditJennifer from Vancouver, Canada, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons