Recently Gabon is more on the news around the world.
Military officers declare a coup and the President is under house arrest.
Gabon is a country located on the west coast of Central Africa. It is bordered by Equatorial Guinea to the northwest, Cameroon to the north, the Republic of the Congo on the east and south, and the Gulf of Guinea to the west.
Gabon is a small country, with a total area of about 270,000 square kilometers (100,000 square miles). The climate is tropical, with a hot and humid rainy season from December to June, and a cooler and drier season from July to November.
The population is about 2.3 million people. The official language is French, but there are many local languages spoken, including Fang, Myene, and Obamba.
Gabon is a relatively wealthy country, with a GDP per capita of about $12,000. The economy is based on oil and timber, but there is also some agriculture and tourism.
The main problems facing Gabon include:
- Corruption: Gabon is ranked as one of the most corrupt countries in the world.
- Poverty: About a quarter of the population lives below the poverty line.
- Inequality: The gap between rich and poor is wide.
- Human rights abuses: There have been reports of torture, arbitrary detention, and other human rights abuses by the government.
Despite these problems, Gabon is a beautiful country with a lot to offer visitors. It has stunning scenery, including rainforests, mountains, and beaches. There is also a rich variety of wildlife, including gorillas, elephants, and chimpanzees.
Here are some of the popular tourist destinations in Gabon:
- Libreville: The capital of Gabon, Libreville is a modern city with a mix of French and African influences. There are many museums and art galleries, as well as a number of beaches.
- Loango National Park: This park is home to a variety of wildlife, including gorillas, elephants, and hippos. It is also a popular spot for whale watching.
- Lopé National Park: This park is known for its rainforests and its diverse plant and animal life. It is home to a number of endangered species, including the western lowland gorilla.
- Akanda National Park: This park is located on the coast and is known for its mangroves and tidal beaches. It is a popular spot for birdwatching.
If you are looking for a beautiful and exotic African destination, Gabon is a great option. Just be sure to be aware of the problems facing the country before you go.
Image credit:Minilza73, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons