Great Broadway performances
- Hamilton (2015). Lin-Manuel Miranda’s hip-hop musical about the life of Alexander Hamilton was a critical and commercial success. Miranda’s performance as Hamilton was particularly praised, and he won a Tony Award for Best Actor in a Musical.
- Wicked (2003). This musical tells the untold story of the Wicked Witch of the West and her relationship with Glinda the Good Witch. Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth’s performances as Elphaba and Glinda, respectively, were iconic, and the show has been running on Broadway for over 15 years.
- The Lion King (1997). This musical adaptation of the Disney film is a visual spectacle, with stunning costumes, sets, and puppets. The show has been running on Broadway for over 25 years and is one of the highest-grossing Broadway shows of all time.
- A Chorus Line (1975). This groundbreaking musical tells the story of a group of dancers auditioning for a Broadway show. The show was praised for its realistic portrayal of the audition process and its exploration of the themes of ambition, identity, and self-acceptance.
- Rent (1996). This rock musical tells the story of a group of young artists struggling to survive in New York City. The show was praised for its innovative use of music and its gritty portrayal of life in the city.
These are just a few of the many great Broadway performances that have taken place over the years. There are many other shows that could be included on this list, and it is ultimately up to each individual to decide what they consider to be a great performance.
Some old years great Broadway performances
- Ethel Merman in Annie Get Your Gun (1946)
- Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire (1947)
- Marlon Brando in A Streetcar Named Desire (1947)
- Grace Kelly in The Philadelphia Story (1940)
- Laurence Olivier in Hamlet (1935)
- Margaret Hamilton in The Wizard of Oz (1939)
- Yul Brynner in The King and I (1951)
- Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music (1959)
- Robert Redford in Barefoot in the Park (1963)
- Liza Minnelli in Cabaret (1966)
Image creditPaul Girardet, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons