Josef Newgarden’s victory in the 2023 Indianapolis 500.
Josef Newgarden won the 107th Indianapolis 500 on May 28, 2023. He started from the pole position and led 111 laps of the 200-lap race. He passed Marcus Ericsson on the final lap to win by 0.234 seconds.
Newgarden is the second Team Penske driver to win the Indianapolis 500 in the last three years. He is also the first American driver to win the race since Alexander Rossi in 2016.
Newgarden’s victory was his third win of the 2023 IndyCar season. He is now the points leader and is in a good position to defend his championship.
Josef Newgarden’s past wins:
- 2017 Indianapolis 500
- 2017 St. Petersburg Grand Prix
- 2017 Texas Motor Speedway
- 2017 Iowa Speedway
- 2017 Gateway Motorsports Park
- 2018 Long Beach Grand Prix
- 2018 Texas Motor Speedway
- 2019 Barber Motorsports Park
- 2019 St. Petersburg Grand Prix
- 2019 Detroit Grand Prix (Race 1)
- 2019 Texas Motor Speedway
- 2019 Iowa Speedway
- 2020 Barber Motorsports Park
- 2020 Indianapolis Grand Prix
- 2021 Texas Motor Speedway
- 2021 Long Beach Grand Prix
- 2021 Road America
- 2021 Iowa Speedway
- 2022 Texas Motor Speedway
- 2022 Long Beach Grand Prix
- 2022 Road America
- 2022 Iowa Speedway
- 2023 Indianapolis 500
Newgarden has won 27 IndyCar races in his career. He is the winningest current American driver in the series.
Image CreditMissvain, CC BY 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons