In 1937, Schinasi designed her first pair of cat-eye glasses
Altina Schinasi (August 4, 1907 – August 19, 1999) was a US sculptor, filmmaker, entrepreneur, window dresser, designer, and inventor. She was best known for designing what she called the “Harlequin eyeglass frame“, popularly known as cat-eye glasses.
The glasses were an immediate success, and they quickly became a fashion staple. Schinasi’s cat-eye glasses were worn by celebrities such as Marlene Dietrich, Katharine Hepburn, and Greta Garbo.
- Classic cat eyeglasses: These glasses have a wide, almond-shaped frame with upturned corners that resemble a cat’s eye. They are typically made of metal or plastic and come in a variety of colors, including black, brown, and tortoiseshell.
- Smoky cat eyeglasses: These glasses have a similar shape to classic cat eyeglasses, but the frames are darker and more opaque. This gives them a more mysterious and sultry look.
- Oversized cat eyeglasses: These glasses are larger than classic cat eyeglasses and have a more dramatic look. They can be a great way to make a statement.
- Pastel cat eye glasses: These glasses have a more playful and feminine look than classic cat-eye glasses. They are typically made of plastic and come in a variety of pastel colors, such as pink, blue, and green.
- Retro cat eye glasses: These glasses are inspired by the cat-eye glasses that were popular in the 1950s and 1960s. They typically have a thicker frame and a more exaggerated upturn than modern cat eyeglasses.
Cat-eye glasses can be worn by women of all ages and face shapes. They are a great way to add a touch of glamour and sophistication to any outfit.
Image creditNabokov at English Wikipedia, CC BY 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons